The USA announced their preliminary roster on the 17th of January, from the 2008 “Redeem Team,” Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard were again selected in the squad. Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Dwayne Wade are all injured and will not participate, whilst the Lakers’ Andrew Bynum also declined participation in this year’s Olympics. New Orleans’ Anthony Davis and Oklahoma City’s James Harden have been called up in place of Howard and Wade.
The roster is as follows
- Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)
A certainty for the squad, the starting 1 for this team, has a good passing game and likes to shoot, a lock in.
- Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets)
In great form, the Nets franchise player is highly likely to make the squad, albeit, on the bench.
- Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Westbrook has been a staple in the Thunder’s line up this year, and has been in great form. He is not so certain to make the Olympic team though.
- Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
A lock in. Kobe will definitely be the starting Shooting Guard.
- James Harden (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Sixth man of the year Harden should be selected for the Olympic team, on his sheer point scoring ability. The selectors may not think that way though.
- Eric Gordon (Phoenix Suns)
Gordon is a great 2, and will be pushing for Olympic honours.
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Durant is the leading point scorer and possibly the best player in the league. A certainty.
- Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies)
Gay may miss out, with Durant, Anthony and the versatile James likely selections.
- Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)
A great servant of the American team. He is assured of a place on the team.
- Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers)
A bolter. May make the cut, if the selectors want his experience and leadership.
- LeBron James (Miami Heat)
Season MVP and finals MVP. Enough said.
- Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
A great season for the Clippers and his sheer athleticism will get him selected.
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Hornets)
Number one draft pick. A risky pick.
- Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves)
Tried and tested, can play center as well, a definite.
- Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks)
The only specialist center picked in this team will make the cut.
PG – Chris Paul
SG – Kobe Bryant
SF – Kevin Durant
PF – LeBron James
C – Tyson Chandler
6 – Carmelo Anthony
7 – Deron Williams
8 – Kevin Love
9 – Blake Griffin
10 – James Harden
11 – Russell Westbrook
12 – Anthony Davis
- Andre Iguodala
- Eric Gordon
- Rudy Gay
yours in basketball,